Gifted students at The Vanguard School shall be defined as those students who have been identified through a specific screening and selection process in the areas of general intellectual ability and a specific academic aptitude as evidenced by their performance on a variety of assessments.
Definition According to the Colorado Department of Education:
"Gifted and talented children" mean those persons between the ages of five and twenty-one whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Children under five who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services.
Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice-exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic and ethnic, cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or specific intellectual ability
- Specific academic aptitude
- Creative or productive thinking
- Leadership abilities
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities
The mission of The Vanguard School is to help guide students in the development of their character and academic potential through academically rigorous, content-rich educational programs.
The Vanguard School is committed to recognizing the unique talents, gifts, and abilities of its student population. We are committed to providing a learning environment that maximizes the intellectual development of each student. We believe that gifted students:
- have potential for outstanding performance
- have specific and significant needs academically, socially, and emotionally
- require appropriate programming options and support
- benefit from a partnership shared by the school, the community, and the parents
- Meet the needs of individual students
- Provide students with a curriculum that is a blending of advanced content and higher order thinking skills
- Assist students in becoming self-directed learners and capable problem solvers
- Encourage students to become creative producers
- Assist students in developing a solid awareness of their own talents, build a positive self-concept, and an appreciation of their values to self and to others
- Provide opportunities for students to work in interest areas as available at The Vanguard School**
**This primarily exists as after-school activities and outside of school projects.