Board of Directors
Monthly board meetings are normally scheduled for the third Tuesday of each month (subject to occasional schedule changes) beginning at 6:00 P.M., in the library, of The Vanguard School high school building, 1605 S. Corona Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80905.
The board holds working sessions at 5:00 P.M., on the evening prior to public session, and on the first Tuesday of each month from 5:00-7:30 P.M., in the Vanguard Conference Room. These meetings are open to the public and are used to review policies, facility issues, etc. If you are interested in observing a working session, please contact Sharon Pighetti via email ([email protected]) in case there is a late schedule change.
The board is currently reviewing The Vanguard School bylaws.
- The first reading took place at the January 21, 2020, board meeting.
- The second reading will take place at the February 18, 2020, board meeting.
- The board will approve the final draft of the revised bylaws at the March 17, 2020, board meeting.
- Please click on the “Board Bylaws” option at right to view both the current bylaws and a draft of the revised bylaws.
To view the minutes from previous Vanguard School board meetings, click on the link to the right labeled “Board Meeting Minutes.”
Canceled due to school closure!
**Public Session: 6:00 P.M.**Location: The Vanguard School Library
April 14, 2020May 19, 2020June 2, 2020
Board Composition and Elections - General Information
The Vanguard School board of directors is a governing board consisting of five voting members. The composition of the board of directors is as follows:
- Three directors must be residents of Cheyenne Mountain School District, D-12.
- Four of the directors, including either out-of-district director, if any, must be parents or legal guardians who have enrolled at The Vanguard School 50% or more of their children who are eligible to attend.
- The remaining director shall be a resident of D-12 who either has no eligible children or who has 50% or more of his eligible children enrolled at The Vanguard School.
Annual elections are held during the fourth quarter of each school year. Governing board members are elected by a vote of the parents for staggered three-year terms. The seats of Rene’ Chatham and Sperry Redd are up for election in May 2020. The seat of Matt Hughes is up for election in May 2021. The seats of Dan Geoffroy and Kurt Peters are up for election in May 2022.
All candidates for the governing board must have attended the entire public session of at least three board meetings in the twelve months preceding the election prior to the date of candidate verification for eligibility.
- The Board seats of the following board members will be up for election this year:
- Sperry Redd (term through May 2020)
– Qualifications for this open Board position are: District 12 resident with at least 50% of eligible children enrolled in the school
- Rene’ Chatham (term through May 2020)
– Qualifications for this open Board position are: District 12 resident or out-of-district resident with at least 50% of eligible children enrolled in the school
- Sperry Redd (term through May 2020)
- Candidates must have also attended at least three (3) complete Board meetings in the twelve (12) months prior to the date of candidate verification for eligibility (see below).
Individuals who are interested in running for the Board of Directors for the 2020-2021 school year should adhere to the following Board of Directors Election Schedule:
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
- Interested candidates must notify the Board in writing of their intent to run
for office by this date.
Tuesday, April 14, 2020 – Regular Board Meeting
- Board will verify by resolution that the candidates are eligible to run
- Meet the Candidates Forum at 7:00 P.M. (following the Board meeting in the Vanguard library)
- Teller committee appointed by Board resolution
Tuesday, May 12, 2020
- Voting begins via online questionnaire. Both parents of a student may vote.
Tuesday, May 19, 2020
- Voting ends at 4:00 P.M.
- Results will be posted in Vanguard office Wednesday, May 20
Tuesday, June 2, 2020 – Regular Board Meeting
- New Directors sworn in
- New Directors attend first Board meeting
- New Board officers elected
The board encourages those interested in running for a seat to familiarize themselves with the following materials:
- Why Johnny Can’t Tell Right from Wrong by William Kilpatrick
- The Schools We Need: And Why We Don’t Have Them by E. D. Hirsch</li>
- “Waiting for Superman” (movie)
- The Great Conversation – Volume I, Robert M. Hutchins, Editor
- A Proper Understanding of K-12 Education (Hillsdale College)
The focus of the Board is to:
- uphold the school’s mission and vision.
- provide financial oversight ensuring the maintenance of adequate resources.
- ensure the school is operating legally and ethically.
- enhance the school’s public standing.
- monitor and strengthen programs and services.
- support and evaluate the school’s executive director.
The members of the Vanguard Board of Directors for the 2019-2020 school year are:
- Matt Hughes, President
- Dan Geoffroy, Vice President
- Kurt Peters, Treasurer
- Rene’ Chatham, Secretary
- Sperry Redd, Director
You may view board member biographies by clicking here.
For more information about the board, including its governing documents and resources, please click here.
The Board welcomes your feedback and comments. If you have a specific concern about a process or policy at the school, we ask that you give the teacher, assistant principal, and the administration the opportunity to resolve the issue prior to bringing it to the Board’s attention. To contact the Board via email, please click on the link below.
Board email link: