Board of Directors
Monthly board meetings are normally scheduled for the third Tuesday of each month (subject to occasional schedule changes) beginning at 6:00 P.M., in the library, of The Vanguard School high school building, 1605 S. Corona Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80905.
The board holds working sessions at 5:00 P.M., on the evening prior to public session, and on the first Tuesday of each month from 5:00-7:30 P.M., in the Vanguard Conference Room. These meetings are open to the public and are used to review policies, facility issues, etc. If you are interested in observing a working session, please contact Sharon Pighetti via email ([email protected]) in case there is a late schedule change.
To view the minutes from previous Vanguard School board meetings, click on the link to the right labeled “Board Meeting Minutes.”
Monday, September 16, 2019
**Public Session: 6:00 P.M.**Location: Junior High Dome
(Corona Campus – Lower Parking Lot)
October 15, 2019
November 19, 2019
December 17, 2019
January 21, 2020
Board Composition and Elections - General Information
The Vanguard School board of directors is a governing board consisting of five voting members. The composition of the board of directors is as follows:
- Three directors must be residents of Cheyenne Mountain School District, D-12.
- Four of the directors, including either out-of-district director, if any, must be parents or legal guardians who have enrolled at The Vanguard School 50% or more of their children who are eligible to attend.
- The remaining director shall be a resident of D-12 who either has no eligible children or who has 50% or more of his eligible children enrolled at The Vanguard School.
Annual elections are held during the fourth quarter of each school year. Governing board members are elected by a vote of the parents for staggered three-year terms. The seats of Rene’ Chatham and Sperry Redd are up for election in May 2020. The seat of Matt Hughes is up for election in May 2021. The seats of Dan Geoffroy and Kurt Peters are up for election in May 2022.
All candidates for the governing board must have attended the entire public session of at least three board meetings in the twelve months preceding the election prior to the date of candidate verification for eligibility.
The board encourages those interested in running for a seat to familiarize themselves with the following materials:
- Why Johnny Can’t Tell Right from Wrong by William Kilpatrick
- The Schools We Need: And Why We Don’t Have Them by E. D. Hirsch</li>
- “Waiting for Superman” (movie)
- The Great Conversation – Volume I, Robert M. Hutchins, Editor
- A Proper Understanding of K-12 Education (Hillsdale College)
The focus of the Board is to:
- uphold the school’s mission and vision.
- provide financial oversight ensuring the maintenance of adequate resources.
- ensure the school is operating legally and ethically.
- enhance the school’s public standing.
- monitor and strengthen programs and services.
- support and evaluate the school’s executive director.
The members of the Vanguard Board of Directors for the 2019-2020 school year are:
- Matt Hughes, President
- Dan Geoffroy, Vice President
- Kurt Peters, Treasurer
- Rene’ Chatham, Secretary
- Sperry Redd, Director
You may view board member biographies by clicking here.
For more information about the board, including its governing documents and resources, please click here.
The Board welcomes your feedback and comments. If you have a specific concern about a process or policy at the school, we ask that you give the teacher, assistant principal, and the administration the opportunity to resolve the issue prior to bringing it to the Board’s attention. To contact the Board via email, please click on the link below.
Board email link: