The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in activities of the NHS. NHS chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. Territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
Students interested in applying for membership in The Vanguard School's Chapter of the National Honor Society should complete the following checklist items:
For more information on the National Honor Society, visit their Web site at http://www.nhs.us/.
- Print and fill out a Student Activity Information Form.
- Write two essays following guidelines on the Essay Information Sheet.
Submit essays via E-Mail to Sherry.Kyle@cmca12.com.
- Obtain a minimum of one online Letter of Recommendation.
- Letter(s) of recommendation must be from an adult who is not related to the candidate, does not serve on the NHS Faculty Council (Mrs. Starla Deeds, Mr. Tim Hughes, Mrs. Janet Dinnen, Miss Holly Palmer, and Miss. Lindsay Horton), is not the principal or vice-principal (Mr. Colin Mullaney, Mrs. Carole Tripoli), and is not the NHS Advisor (Mrs. Sherry Kyle).
- Obtain a parent signature.
- Have all materials submitted by a date to be determined the Vanguard NHS representative. Point of contact for submission is Mrs. Kyle, Vanguard Faculty Member (E-Mail: Sherry.Kyle@cmca12.com).